[ovirt-users] 3.5.6 to 4.0

Demeter Tibor tdemeter at itsmart.hu
Thu Jul 14 08:32:38 UTC 2016

Hi,

----- 2016. júl.. 14., 10:09, Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com írta:

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Demeter Tibor <tdemeter at itsmart.hu> wrote:
>>
>> Dear members!
>>
>> We have an ovirt cluster that based on el6 and 3.5.6
>> It is contain three nodes, but the first node is an all-in-one installation.
>> I would like to upgrade the whole system to 4.0. Also I would like to switch
>> to hosted engine modell.
>
> Sounds like a combination of:
>
> [1]
> http://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/engine/migrate-to-hosted-engine/
> [2] https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine-host-OS-upgrade/
> [3]
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine/#upgrade-hosted-engine
>
>> Now, we bought new servers for the migration.
>
> "For the migration", meaning you intend to eventually migrate to them?
> And decommission the existing ones?

:) No, it was an old plan. So we bought them because we want to switch to ultra-dense multipurpose servers from individual servers.

> Also, I assume you want el7 on all hosts eventually.
>
> Storage remains as-is?
The storage is NFS based storgae.

> How important is no downtime for the VMs?
We could makes downtime if that needed.

>> What is the good way to migrate nodes, etc?
>
> Something like:
> 1. Create new storage space for the hosted-engine
> 2. Install el7 on one of the new hosts, NH1
> 3. deploy hosted-engine on NH1

Have I add the old IP to this engine? Because it same with the node.

Also, I would like to switch to VLANs with the migration, if possible. I don't know when I need to make this, after or under the migration process..

> Follow [1]:
> - backup existing engine and stop/disable engine there
> - restore backup on the engine vm (after you install engine,
> but do not engine-setup)
> - engine-setup
> - When 'hosted-engine --deploy' will try to add the host to
> the engine, it might fail, because it will add it to Default
> cluster, which has el6 hosts. Check [2] about this - create
> new cluster and add there.
> - All of the above in 3.5.

How can I install 3.5 and not 4.0 from repositories?

> 4. Perhaps add the other new hosts, perhaps as hosted-engine
> hosts - if you want HA for the engine vm
> 5. Migrate all VMs to the new cluster.
> 6. Delete old hosts
> 7. Upgrade to 3.6 - check [2]
> 8. Upgrade to 4.0 - should be normal procedure [3]
>
> I recommend testing this on test systems prior to prod.
> You can use nested kvm for this.
>
> Best,
> --
> Didi