[ovirt-users] Multiple FC SAN's and Hosts LSM etc

Neil nwilson123 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 10:07:35 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

I'm soon going to have the following equipment and I'd like to find the
best way to utilise it....

1.) One NEW FC SAN, and 3 new Dell Hosts with FC cards.

2.) One OLD FC SAN with 2 older HP hosts with FC cards. (old VMWare
environment)

3.) Another OLDER FC SAN with 2 older HP Hosts with FC cards. (old VMWare
environment)

4.) I have an existing oVirt 3.5 DR cluster with two hosts and NFS storage
that is current in use and works well.

Each of the above SAN's will only have FC ports to connect to their
existing hosts, so all hosts won't be connected to all SAN's. All hosts
would be the same Centos 7.x release etc.

All existing VM's are going to be moved to the option 1 via a baremetal
restore from backup onto a NEW oVirt platform. Once installed I'd then like
to re-commission 2 and 3 above to make use of the old hardware and SAN's as
secondary or possibly a "new" DR platform to replace or improve on option 4.

Bearing in mind the older hardware will be different CPU generations, would
it be best to add the older hosts and SAN's as new clusters within the same
NEW oVirt installation? Or should I rather just keep 2, 3 and 4 as separate
oVirt installations?

I know in the past live migration wouldn't work with different CPU
generations, and of course my SAN's won't be physically connected to each
of the hosts.

In order to move VM's between 1, 2 and 3 would I need to shut the VM down
and export and import, or is there another way to do this?

Could LSM work between across all three SANS and hosts?

I know I can do a baremetal restore from backup directly onto either 1, 2
or 3 if needed, but I'd like to try tie all of this into one platform if
there is good reason to do so. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas here?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Regards.

Neil Wilson.