[ovirt-users] Multiple FC SAN's and Hosts LSM etc

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Fri Jul 15 12:55:24 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Fernando Frediani <
fernando.frediani at upx.com.br> wrote:

> One of the things I don't like very much in oVirt is the LVM on Shared
> Block storage, but unfortunately there are no other options. One day
> perhaps a VMFS5 equivalent will come up somewhere.

For some use cases, direct LUN is a great solution.

> I would avoid it and put a server in between the SAN and the oVirt Nodes
> and use NFS in order to abstract it, that would give you more flexibility
> and keep you away from LVM. But in your case if you don't have 10GbE
> interfaces you will loose on performance using 1GbE interfaces.

Even 10g would be difficult to compete with (what I assume is usually) 2x8G
FC ports, in term of performance. Some kind of bond will be needed to
provide the same level of redundancy - and still the NFS server would be a
single point of failure.

> With regards the  migration of VMs between different CPU families I'm not
> sure what is the tolerance of oVirt with it. Depending on the CPUs and the
> cluster types you may be able to do migrations.So I would keep different
> CPU families in different clusters.

Note that you can detach and attach complete storage domains (assuming you
moved the LUNs via some other means - like SAN replication), and not
import-export single VMs. This has of course its cons and pros.
Y.