[ovirt-users] Import of ova failed

Shahar Havivi shavivi at redhat.com
Sun Jul 17 06:44:26 UTC 2016

On 14.07.16 18:14, Cam Mac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to import some .ova images from VMWare that have been copied to
> a node. In both cases they fail with the error:
>
> "Conversion of VM from exteral enironment failed: copy-disk stream closed
> unexpectedly"
First you need to look at vdsm log to see more details why it failed.

> (the message above is copied verbatim from the log, including
> the misspellings)
>
> One of the VMs is a RHEL 6.6 and the other is Windows 7. The import reports
> adding a disk and then running a conversion, then appears to fail about 5
> or 6 minutes into converting the image.
>
> I'm considering using virt-v2v to do the conversion of the .ova, but I'm
> not sure how to get that into ovirt then.
>
> Any suggestions?
Try to run virt-v2v -i ova -o local to import the ova to local disk (see the
virt-v2v man page for more options) and see if that pass - the errors can be
more detailed there (it suppose to reflect the same error that you get in vdsm
log)., another options you can do is run virt-v2v in verbose mode (virt-v2v
-v).