[ovirt-users] Host non operationnal due to an iSCSI problem

Alexis HAUSER alexis.hauser at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Jul 19 14:46:23 UTC 2016

>Normally you should not have to do that. It could be that it was not
>allowed access, and you'd have to leave it a while for the host to retry.

It looped on retrying to make it work for 24 hours...It was authorized. But actually when I first add the host, it didn't have authorization. I added authorization, then it looped on retrying without success...Until I did what I told you.

>At least you have it working now!

Yes thank you, but I'm a bit disappointed by this instability and I'd really like to understand what happened...In case it reproduce again.

>> If you only have one physical interface on each host, there's not much
>> point doing multipath, as you don't stand to gain any performance or
>> resilience.
> I didn't choose if it was multipath or not, someone only gave me access to this storage, but I understand what you mean. However, I'll certainly add bonding later.
>

> Do you have any idea what setting maintenance mode and reactivating does on a host ? Does it restart some services ? I don't really understand what just happened actually...
> All I know is that it is used for backup, reinstall and update.

Maintenance mode will migrate any running VMs off that host and enable
you to do some tasks (including the ones you mention) that you can't do
when it's running VMs. I believe it stops certain services as well, not
sure which ones. It's perfectly safe and routine thing to do in RHEV/oVirt.

Thanks, that's certainly what solved the issue then...Or the Dell Bay doing weird random stuff who knows ^^
I've often heard people telling others setting up a host or engine to maintenance mode then reactivate in case of a lot of various issues, it seems to be a method to keep in mind.