[ovirt-users] Import of ova failed

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 19:06:13 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 07:16:32PM +0100, Cam Mac wrote:

> > The import doesn't happen automatically, you have to do the final step
> > manually (when using the command line).  See:
> >
> > http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v.1.html#output-to-rhev
> >
> > However that error shouldn't happen.  It looks like the name is the
> > same as the name of an existing VM.  From virt-v2v you can do the
> > whole conversion/import over again, this time adding the `-on
> > new_name' option to the command line (obviously choosing a name which
> > is not otherwise being used).
> >
> > I don't know if there's a way to get oVirt to change the name when
> > importing from the export domain.  As far as I know you have to start
> > the import from scratch.
> >

> There's no existing VM with that name that I can see. It may have come from
> one of my earlier import attempts,
> though that earlier attempt did not show up in the GUI, it did write files
> to the export domain.
>
> I re-ran the conversion again with a rename but it failed to import it
> again, with the same error.
>
> Could there be a record in the DB somewhere, or does it look at the files
> alone? Just trying to work out where the conflict is.

I had a look at the ovirt-engine code where
ACTION_TYPE_FAILED_NAME_ALREADY_USED is raised and it appears to come
from a database check.  However I'm not really familiar enough with
the code to be sure.  Probably best to ask an oVirt developer, or try
dumping the database to see if "wvm2" appears in a column anywhere.

Rich.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW