[ovirt-users] Exporting VMs using cinder disks and importing ceph disks from cinder

Alessandro De Salvo Alessandro.DeSalvo at roma1.infn.it
Thu Jul 21 13:58:52 UTC 2016

Hi,
I'm trying to export VMs using ceph disks on ovirt 4. The export itself
works, but the disks are not saved in the export domains, only the VM
definition is stored. Also, I cannot easily re-import them, unless I
clone the VM instead of importing it, it just fails.
Cinder itself can backup volumes, if instructed to do so.
However, let's say I would like to export the machine from an ovirt
infrastructure and load it into another one passing by the export domain
and sharing the same underlying ceph cluster. I could easily load the VM
from the export domain into the second ovirt infrastructure, but how can
I define the disk, whose volume exists in the cinder instance, in the
second ovirt? I do not see any obvious way to map an existing cinder
volume into ovirt, without creating a new disk, which would not be
helpful.
As a consequence of all this, in case of problems with the disks, there
is no way to recover them.
Any help?
Thanks,

	Alessandro