[ovirt-users] Centos 7 no bootable device

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Jul 22 09:20:18 UTC 2016

> On 22 Jul 2016, at 10:32, Milan Zamazal <mzamazal at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Johan Kooijman <mail at johankooijman.com> writes:
>
>> Situation as follows: mixed cluster with 3.5 and 3.6 nodes. Now in the
>> process of reinstalling the 3.5 nodes with 3.6 on CentOS 7.2. I can't live
>> migrate VM's while they're running on different versions.
>
> Live migration should always work within a single cluster.

not in case of EL6 to EL7 migration in 3.5. You can’t migrate from EL7 to EL6 host. There’s anew policy added in recent 3.6.z to allow mixed hosts in a single cluster, but that doesn’t change the fact that VMs can’t migrate back.

>  What do Vdsm
> logs say on both the source and target hosts when the migration fails?
>
>> The most interesting part is happening when I power down a VM, and then run
>> it on a 3.6 node. Only on CentOS 7 VM's, I'm getting a "no bootable device"
>> error. I have a mixed setup of ubuntu, CentOS 6 and CentOS 7. Ubuntu &
>> CentOS 6 are fine.
>>
>> Tried shooting grub in MBR again, to no effect. I start the VM then on a
>> 3.5 node and all is fine.

it is reproducible by simply trying to run the VM on either EL6 or EL7 host, correct?

> So the VM is indicated as starting in Engine and BIOS or GRUB can't find
> the device to boot from?  Could you provide Vdsm logs from both
> successful and unsuccessful boot of the same VM?

can you create a new “normal” 3.6 cluster and move/add one of the EL7 hosts there, and move the VM to that new cluster and try it there?

Thanks,
michal