[ovirt-users] Upgrade 3.6 to 4.0 and "ghost" incompatible cluster version

Federico Alberto Sayd fsayd at uncu.edu.ar
Fri Jul 22 13:20:56 UTC 2016

El 22/07/16 a las 06:13, Milan Zamazal escribió:
> "Federico Sayd" <fsayd at uncu.edu.ar> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to upgrade ovirt 3.6.3 to 4.0, but engine-setup complaints about upgrading from incompatible version 3.3
>>
>> I see in the engine-setup log that  vds_groups table is checked to determine
>> the compatibility version. The logs shows that engine-setup detects 2 clusters
>> versions: 3.3 and 3.6. Indeed, there is 2 clusters registered in the table:
>> "cluster-3.6" and "Default"
>>
>> "Cluster-3.6" (version 3.6)  is the only cluster in DC in my ovirt setup.
>> "Default" (version 3.3)  should be a cluster that surely I deleted in a past upgrade.
>>
>> Why a cluster named "Default" (with compatibility version 3.3) is still present
>> in vds_group table? Cluster "Default" isn't displayed anywhere in the web
>> interface.
> It looks like a bug to me.  The cluster should be either missing in the
> database or present in the web interface.
>
> Could you please provide us more details about the problem?  It might
> help us to investigate the issue if you could do the following:
>
> - Install ovirt-engine-webadmin-portal-debuginfo package.
> - Restart Engine.
> - Go to the main Clusters tab.
> - Refresh the page in your browser.
> - Send us the parts of engine.log and ui.log corresponding to the
>    refresh action.
>
>> Any clue to solve this issue?
> As a workaround, if you are sure you don't have anything in Default
> cluster, you may try to set compatibility_version to "3.6" for "Default"
> cluster in vds_groups database table.
Hi Milan:

I solved the issue. I connected through ovirt-shell. The shell listed
the two clusters and let me to delete the 3.3 "ghost" cluster.

I don't know why this cluster was visible by ovirt-shell but not by WebUI.

I migrated the engine from Centos 6 to Centos 7 in a new VM. I will try
to install ovirt-engine-webadmin-portal-debuginfo in the old engine VM
(I took a VM snapshot previously to delete the 3.3 cluster) and send
you  the debug info.

Thanks for your help.

Federico