[ovirt-users] oVirt 4.0.1 on FC23: problem mounting NFSv4 with fsid=0

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Wed Jul 27 19:41:49 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 6:07 PM, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Idan Shaby <ishaby at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can you please attach the vdsm log so we can get all the details?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Idan
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 4:24 PM, wodel youchi <wodel.youchi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to test the new version of oVirt the 4.0.1 on FC23, using HE
>>> method and using NFSv4 for storage.
>>>
>>> When launching the deploy command, and choosing nfsv4 and filling the
>>> mount point, the setup exits with error : Connection to storage server
>>> failed.
>>>
>>> In vdsm log I have this error:
>>> Could not connect to storageServer
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> OSError: [Errno 2] Mount of `noveria.wodel.wd:/engine_vm` at
>>> `/rhev/data-center/mnt/noveria.wodel.wd:_engine__vm` does not exist
>>>
>>> the df -h command shows that the nfs mount was done, but the device path
>>> contains a double slash.
>>> noveria.wodel.wd://vmengine  656G  111G  513G  18%
>>> /rhev/data-center/mnt/noveria.wodel.wd:_vmengine
>
> Can you share the output of:
>
>     cat /proc/mounts
>
> This is what vdsm is using the check if a mount exists.
>

>>> I am not sure of the problem, but I think it's the double slash on the
>>> nfs4 path when using fsid=0: noveria.wodel.wd://vmengine
>
> Vdsm is normalizing the mount path - when you try to mount:
>
>      noveria.wodel.wd://vmengine
>
> Vdsm normalize the path to:
>
>      noveria.wodel.wd:/vmengine
>
> And it pass this value to the mount command.
>
> Vdsm expect that the kernel will not modify the value and return unormalized
> paths.
>
> This looks like an issue reported in the util-linux list:
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/util-linux-ng/msg13078.html
>
> According to the report, this is known issue in the kernel and unlikely to
> be fixed soon.
>
> So it seems that we do need to normalize also what the kernel returns
> in /proc/mounts.

I posted these patches that should fix this issue.
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/status:open+project:vdsm+branch:ovirt-4.0+topic:backport/4.0/normalize-mounts

It would be nice if you test them and report they work for you.

You can get the patches soruce using this link:
git fetch https://gerrit.ovirt.org/vdsm refs/changes/81/61581/1 && git
checkout FETCH_HEAD

And build vdsm:

yum-builddep vdsm