[ovirt-users] oVirt 3.6 to 4.0 Upgrade

Brett I. Holcomb biholcomb at l1049h.com
Sun Jun 26 00:54:24 EDT 2016

In order to not hijack another thread I wanted to separate this from the
"latest CentOS libvirt updates safe?" thread since this is different
than what the OP on that thread wants to do.

I've been digging through the 4.0 documentation since I'd like to
upgrade in the not to distant future so I'm doing research and I'm confused.

I'm running 3.6.6 in a hosted Engine environment.  My engine runs in a
vm on the host.  The host is a physical box and the VMs are stored on a
NAS accessed by an iSCSI LUN,  I have no other hosts running so I can
not migrate.

According to this link, https://www.ovirt.org/release/4.0.0/, I'm told
to simply run yum update ovirt-engine-setup and then engine-setup but I
assume that's for a non hosted-engine environment.  I then go to the
link for Hosted_Engine_HOwto#Upgrade_Hosted_Engine guide and am told to
do this.

Set hosted-engine maintenance mode to global and other stuff that is
written assuming I have some place to migrate my VMs to.  I do not have
another host.

So how do I properly move to oVirt 4.0 from 3.6.6 on a single physical
host running a hosted Engine VM?

Thanks.