[ovirt-users] video memory in virtual machine

Martin Polednik mpolednik at redhat.com
Wed Jun 8 06:38:18 UTC 2016

On 08/06/16 09:55 +0800, qinglong.dong at horebdata.cn wrote:
>I have found that playing video is not fluent in the virtual machine. So I thought maybe too small video memory in virtual machines led to this. Some parameters have been found when I was trying to check some information. So I wonder where to modify them and if it works to do this.
>
>-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=8388608,vgamem_mb=16
>
>Anyone can help?

You cannot directly set ram and vgamem, but you can modify vram size
through vram multiplier.

The defaults are as follows:
vram_size = 8192 * vram multiplier (2)
ram_size = 16384 * 4
vgamem = 16384 * 1

(hopefully got them right)

Modifying osinfo[1] property vramMultiplier allows you to change vram
size.

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/virt/os-info/