[ovirt-users] Snapshot self-hosted engine?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Nov 18 09:02:32 EST 2016

Hi Martin,

Keep in mind this is a single host..  so..  is there a command line
operation I can run from the host to snapshot the running engine VM?  Then
if then update fails I can revert (by command line) the running VM from
before the update.  I don't mind getting my fingers dirty if I have to
script it.

I've used the "engine-backup" tool, but frankly IMHO a snapshot is a
better way to handle an immediate update, rather than having to completely
re-install the VM and restore from backup.  This operation is exactly why
snapshots exist.  :)

Thanks,

-derek

On Fri, November 18, 2016 3:33 am, Martin Sivak wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
> I do not think we support snapshots of the hosted engine VM at the
> moment. There would be no way to restore from snapshot anyway in case
> of failed upgrade (no engine would be running).
>
> Please use the standard backup/restore procedures for the engine:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-virtualization/4.0/paged/self-hosted-engine-guide/chapter-6-backing-up-and-restoring-a-rhel-based-self-hosted-environment
>
> Best regards
>
> --
> Martin Sivak
> SLA / oVirt
>
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 3:58 AM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>> I'm running ovirt 4.0.4 on a single-host with (of course) self-hosted
>> engine.
>>
>> Ovirt seems to assume in many cases that there are multiple hosts around
>> so you can manipulate one host while the engine is running on another,
>> etc.
>>
>> But in the single-host case.... how do you take a snapshot of the hosted
>> engine?  When I click on Virtual Machines -> HostedEngine and then below
>> click on Snapshots and then Create, I get an error:
>>
>> HostedEngine
>>   * Cannot create Snapshot. This VM is not managed by the engine.
>>
>> So... How can one snapshot the engine (e.g. prior to updating it)?
>>
>> -derek
>>
>> --
>>        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
>>        derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
>>        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745