[ovirt-users] Import of OVA fails in 4.0.4

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Nov 5 21:02:34 UTC 2016

Hi,
I just tried using the OVA import feature in 4.0.4 to import an OVA file
created from VMware-Workstation-12.  I packaged the OVA, got it onto my
ovirt host, and then go the Admin GUI and under the Virtual Machines tab
clicked on Import.  From there I chose Source:  VMware Virtual Appliance
(OVA), and selected the (local-to-the-host) path where I put the OVA
file.  After clicking Load it displayed the vm name in the window.  I
click on that and click the right arrow to and then Next.  Then I select
my storage domain to use and continue.  It loads the VM and starts to
process it internally with virt-v2v, but then it inexplicably fails.
The only message in the GUI is:
   Failed to import Vm <vm name> to Data Center Default, Cluster Default

I tried to look into /var/log/vdsm/vdsm.log looking for any errors.  I
found this:

Thread-88166::ERROR::2016-11-05 16:36:09,219::v2v::674::root::(_run) Job u'cdb1e
eb7-63f3-46e8-abd5-5292dcc8809a' failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vdsm/v2v.py", line 669, in _run
    self._import()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vdsm/v2v.py", line 696, in _import
    self._proc.stderr.read(1024)))
V2VProcessError: Job u'cdb1eeb7-63f3-46e8-abd5-5292dcc8809a' process failed exit
-code: 1, stderr: virt-v2v: error: unable to rebuild initrd
(/boot/initramfs-4.2.6-301.fc23.x86_64.img) because mkinitrd or dracut was
not found in the guest

If reporting bugs, run virt-v2v with debugging enabled and include the
complete output:

  virt-v2v -v -x [...]

I don't understand this error because /usr/bin/dracut certainly exists
in the VM.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get around this?

Thanks,

-derek