[ovirt-users] Self hosted single server network requirements

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 21 19:53:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

Mark Steckel <mjs at fix.net> writes:

> Thanks all who have responded so far.
>
> Advice so far seems to be:
> * Use 'screen' when deploying. Easy
> * Don't use/disable Network-Manager. Easy
> * Preconfigure the ovirtmgmt bridge. I've got questions...
>
> The server has a public /32 as the primary IP, and a public /29 which
> will be used for the VMs.
>
> Besides creating the ovirtmgmt bridge is there anything specific for
> how I should configure it?

My recommendation is that you just set up non-NM-controlled static
network using your public /32.  Then the hosted-engine --deploy process
should take that config and apply it to ovirtmgmt bridge.  At least,
that's what happened for me when I did it.  I don't think you need to
set up the ovirtmgmt bridge manually.

As for the /29 -- don't worry about it now, that would be a routing
issue you can apply later.  Is it the same network as the /32?  Or is it
a different network?

> Thanks
> Mark

-derek

> ----- Paul-Erik Törrönen <poltsi at poltsi.fi> wrote:
>> On 2016-11-19 11:28, Joop wrote:
>> > I have never setup such a server but if you create the ovirtmgmt bridge
>> > first then the deploy will leave it alone and you won't lose network
>> > connectivity.
>>
>> I've set up almost the described combination (I do run the vm-engine on
>> a separate laptop), and found that running the commandline stuff in a
>> screen helps a lot, the setup commands can then complete instead of
>> being interrupted as your (ssh-)session is killed.
>>
>> I also enountered the same issue of network connection loss as the
>> ovirtmgmt-interface took over my primary connection, but I was able to
>> continue as I  had several network devices on my hardware which I had
>> already configured, and was able to access the server through them.
>>
>> If you only have one network interface, then I would recommend running
>> the commands in a screen, and in the case of losing the connection,
>> reconnect to the screen through the KVM.
>>
>> My 0.02€
>>
>> Poltsi

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745