[ovirt-users] Self hosted single server network requirements

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 21 21:44:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, November 21, 2016 4:30 pm, Mark Steckel wrote:

[snip]

>> which

>> for
[snip]

> Yeah, I was hoping that would be the case for me too. :-)

For what it's worth, it took me about 4 tries to get it all working.
I wound up using a script I found to clean the host and re-install it all.
 Of course the cleanup process let the firewall in a state where it
blocked all traffic (including SSH), but I figured that part out on the
2nd try so added it back into my script for the 3rd.  ;)

The other difference is that I had already created a bond0 interface which
was my default (with a non-NM-controlled static network).  However, that
shouldn't have made a difference.

>> What did your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<dev> file look like?
>> (And what does the ifcfg-ovirtmgmt file look like)?
>
> Sadly, thinking I messed things up I scrubbed the machine and started
> over. I have a fresh CentOS 7.2 install waiting to run 'hosted-engine
> --deploy' on it once I have a better sense what if anything I need to
> prepare from a networking stand point.

Okay, so go and try it!  :)

Worst case, you need to run hosted-engine-cleanup.sh and then reset the
firewall and reboot, and then re-install everything:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en/red-hat-virtualization/4.0/paged/self-hosted-engine-guide/chapter-2-deploying-self-hosted-engine
http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine/#fresh-install

[snip]
>> it
>> >
>> > Different.
>>
>> I assume both networks are available on your host interface?
>
> At this point only the /32 is on the host interface. The /29 is not
> assigned at the moment.

You shouldn't need to "assign" anything in the /29 to the host.  All
that's important is that the physical network can reach the /29.  I.e.,
you could do something like:

     /32           /32        /29
router ----------- host ----  VMs
     /29

The host will bridge the network to the VMs, but it can be on a different
network.

> Mark

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745