[ovirt-users] How to update ovirt on a single-host hosted-engine host

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Fri Nov 25 09:34:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 8:33 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got ovirt running on a single host (with hosted-engine).  I just
> upgraded the engine from 4.0.4 to 4.0.5.  That was pretty easy; I just
> put the system into global maintenance mode, then yum update, then
> engine-setup, then took the host out of maint mode.  Easy peasy.

'took the host out of maint' -> took the engine VM out of maintenance mode:
global maintenance mode means that ovirt-ha-agent (on any hosts) will not
try to check, restart, migrate... the engine VM.

> Now, I want to update the host itself.  Since it's a single host system
> I know I'll need to shut down all the VMs (because there's no place to
> migrate them).  This means I'll need to shut down the engine VM, too.
> That would imply that I can't use the "Update" feature from the ui,
> right?

Yes, correct

> So what IS the process to properly update a single-host host?  My guess
> is:
>
> * shutdown all the VMs

* go into global maint mode (what IS the difference between global and
>   local?)
> * shutdown the engine/engine VM
> * yum update on the host
> * restart services (or reboot, I guess)
> * bring the system out of maintenance mode

shutdown or hibernate all the other VMs.
set global maintenance mode to avoid ovirt-ha-agent trying to restart the
engine vm
shutdown the engine VM (from the host CLI) with hosted-engine --vm-shutdown
yum update
restart services
bring the system out of global maintenance mode: in a couple of minutes the
HA agent should restart the engine VM