[ovirt-users] Ansible Modules for ovirt

Ondra Machacek omachace at redhat.com
Mon Nov 28 15:51:27 UTC 2016

Hi,

thank you very much for your feedback. I am sending few notes inline.

On 11/25/2016 04:27 PM, Jean Paul Gatt wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have been trying to use the following ansible modules (based on the
> last devel commit in the ansible github repo for the extras modules
> 43bb97bc3763b0335e245606eb2985314902cc91):
>
> ·         ovirt_vms
>
> ·         ovirt_disks
>

> I have had varying degrees of success, and I would like to list the
> following issues:
>
> ·         Through the REST API, I can define multiple nic card
> configurations for cloud-init, however only 1 can be done with Ansible.

This issue was already opened here:

  https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modules-extras/issues/3447

I will be very happy if you will take a look and tell what you think
about the proposed fix.

> Also, when using templates, it automatically assumes I will be using the
> last version of the template, this had to be defined when using REST.

I've opened an issue here:

  https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modules-extras/issues/3555

Feel free to comment there any additional requests regarding that issue.

> ·         Assume I have deployed from a template. This will create a VM
> with a disk that is already attached. Now, let’s say I want to confirm,
> or add more disks to the VM. If I pass a number of disks, that have
> already been attached, and I reference them by name (in ovirt_disks), I
> get an error. If I do the same operation by ID it seems to work. However
> I cannot get the ID when running ansible, I need to get it from REST.
> When I query ovirt_vms, disk attachments comes up as
>
> o   "disk_attachments": [],
>
> If that field gets populated, I could then in turn run ovirt_disks with
> the ID, after querying the VM to get the attachments, but as it is it
> cannot be done.
>

> I’ll give an example
>

> - name: Get Disks
>
>   ovirt_disks:
>
>     auth: "{{ovirt_auth}}"
>
>     vm_name: "{{item.0.name}}"
>
>     name: "{{item.1.name}}"
>
>     interface: "{{item.1.interface}}"
>
>   register: r_disks
>
>   with_subelements:
>
>     - "{{virtual_machines }}"
>
>     - drives
>

>                 If the drives have already been attached this will fail… but
>

> - name: Add Disks to VMs
>
>   ovirt_disks:
>
>     auth: "{{ovirt_auth}}"
>
>     vm_name: "{{item.0.name}}"
>
>     id: 8fc2811e-7774-4903-a5b3-489fdedb377b
>
>     size: "100GiB"
>
>     format: "{{item.1.format}}"
>
>     storage_domain: "{{item.1.storage_domain.name}}"
>
>     bootable: "{{item.1.bootable}}"
>
>     interface: "{{item.1.interface}}"
>
>     state: attached
>
>   with_subelements:
>
>     - "{{virtual_machines }}"
>
>     - drives
>

>                 The second example is working, even if the disk has
> already been attached.
>

> I’m assuming that since I’m creating the VM from a template, there might
> be multiple disks with the same name, and the wrong ID is being retrieved.

Yes, that is the problem. To work reliably with disks, the only way is
the ID. I will document it better, so users aren't confused.

I've opened following issue:

  https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/18650

I will work on it, feel free to comment any ideas there.

> I’m happy to do more testing as further commits appear.

Thank you, the fixes will be during this week, so hopefully merged soon.