[ovirt-users] Import OVA or OVF file from other oVirt - oVirt 4.x

Victor Jose Acosta vic.ad94 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 13:19:53 UTC 2016

Thanks Yaniv, i read about image io streaming after send that email, i
will use it for my project.

I will explain to you what I'm trying to do:

- I'm creating a software to make full backup and restore of VMs using
python and the backup/restore api

- The main difference is, i want to have the option to make a full
restore or granular restore.

- The backup process is:

     - Create snapshot off the vm

     - Mount snapshot disk to a "backup vm"

     - Identify device name of that disk, this means "/dev/vdc" and so on.

     - Create a qcow2 image from disk

     - Get vm configuration in a xml file

     - Create a compressed file from both files

     - Detach disk from backup vm

     - Delete the snapshot

- The full recovery process is:

     - Upload the qcow2 files throw image io api

     - Create a new vm based on the xml file

- The granular recover process is:

     - Mount the qcow2 image to as a loop device

     - Copy files

I will create a kind of new format, this "new format" will be a .tgz
file with:

     - qcow2 images, ordered by number, example:

         - 00-vm.qcow2

         - 01-vm.qcow2

     - the vm xml file

I working on this a few days ago, so if you are interested it will be a
pleasure to me provide a solution to the community.

I will share this project when it's works at least the full
backup/restore function

I love oVirt but the my main problem is create backup and share those
VMs between DataCenters

So i decided to create a software to make oVirt even more powerful

About me: I'm not a developer, so be patient, I'm a sysadmin, actually a
Red Hat Certified Engineer and VMWare Certified Associate