[ovirt-users] Cannot change Cluster Compatibility Version when a VM is active

Ernest Beinrohr Ernest.Beinrohr at axonpro.sk
Fri Sep 23 15:44:05 UTC 2016

On 23.09.2016 16:49, Bruckner, Simone wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am trying to upgrade an oVirt installation (3.6.7.5-1.el6) to 4.0.
> My datacenters and clusters have 3.5 compatibility settings.

I just finished this. Only took about 2 weeks for 8 hosts ;) I had to do
this:

3.5 -> 3.6

- upgrade engine to 3.6
- create a new cluster with CL 3.6
- for each host:
   - maintenance
   - reinstall to el7 + RPMs (yay for puppet)
   - add to new 3.6 cluster
   - activate
   - migrate some machines to new cluster (no way back!)
- elevate CL of old (empty) cluster to 3.6
- migrate everything back for each host

3.6 -> 4.0
- for each host:
   - maintenance
   - upgrade RPMS to 4.0
   - activate
- elevate CL to 4.0 (can be done with running VMs)

--
Ernest Beinrohr, AXON PRO
Ing <http://www.beinrohr.sk/ing.php>, RHCE