[ovirt-users] iSCSI Multipathing

Devin A. Bougie devin.bougie at cornell.edu
Sun Apr 2 03:20:03 UTC 2017

We have a new 4.1.1 cluster up and running with OVS switches and an iSCSI hosted_storage and VM data domain (same target, different LUN's).  Everything works fine, and I can configure iscsid and multipathd outside of the oVirt engine to ensure redundancy with our iSCSI device.  However, if I try to configure iSCSI Multipathing within the engine, all of the hosts get stuck in the "Connecting" status and the Data Center and Storage Domains go down.  The hosted engine, however, continues to work just fine.

Before I provide excerpts from our logs and more details on what we're seeing, it would be helpful to understand better what the advantages are of configuring iSCSI Bonds within the oVirt engine.  Is this mainly a feature for oVirt users that don't have experience configuring and managing iscsid and multipathd directly?  Or, is it important to actually setup iSCSI Bonds within the engine instead of directly in the underlying OS?

Any advice or links to documentation I've overlooked would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Devin