[ovirt-users] iSCSI Multipathing

Devin A. Bougie devin.bougie at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 3 02:50:57 UTC 2017

Thanks for following up, Gianluca.  At this point, my main question is why should I configure iSCSI Bonds within the oVirt engine instead of or in addition to configuring iSCSI initiators and multipathd directly in the host's OS.

The multipath.conf created by VDSM works fine with our devices, as do the stock EL6/7 kernels and drivers.  We've had great success using these devices for over a decade in various EL6/7 High-Availability server clusters, and when we configure everything manually they seem to work great with oVirt.  We're just wondering exactly what the advantage is to taking the next step of configuring iSCSI Bonds within the oVirt engine.

For what it's worth, these are Infortrend ESDS devices with redundant controllers and two 10GbE ports per controller.  We connect each host and each controller to two separate switches, so we can simultaneously lose both a controller and a switch without impacting availability.

Thanks again!
Devin