[ovirt-users] SKD4

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu Apr 6 13:47:41 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Fabrice Bacchella <
fabrice.bacchella at orange.fr> wrote:

> Le 6 avr. 2017 à 15:32, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> a écrit :
>

> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Fabrice Bacchella <
> fabrice.bacchella at orange.fr> wrote:
>
>> Yes I'm starting to understand that thinking about migrating code is
>> pointless.
>>
>> The old skd3 code is just good to be thrown away. There is no hope
>> thinking about "migrating code". And as it's just a thin layer around REST
>> calls, it's up to us to try to make something usable around that. So I
>> expect a lot of sweat and tears to adapt my existing code.
>>

> Well, yes and no. Yes, it's not smooth, but once you 'get' the idea behind
> the v4 API philosophy, it's quite easy to write to (at least in Python).
>

> Easy to write code that a well though sdk should have provided.

I'd like to believe our v4 SDKs are. They fix several inconsistencies we've
had with v3.

> Note that right now you can mix between v3 and v4, so you can migrate
> slowly, function by function.
>

> That's a possible but almost as complicated as rewrite everything in my
> case.

Perhaps in your case. Here[1] is an example of the ovirt system tests,
which were only partially converted (work in progress...) to v4 API.

HTH,
Y.

[1]
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/gitweb?p=ovirt-system-tests.git;a=blob;f=basic-suite-master/test-scenarios/002_bootstrap.py;h=c0e71df23f17335d59d9d37fcd4c833be6372c69;hb=HEAD#l109