[ovirt-users] VDSM overwrites network config

Alan Cowles alan.cowles at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:24:00 UTC 2017

Hey guys,

I'm in a lab setup currently with 2 hosts, running RHEV-3.5, with a
self-hosted engine on RHEL 6.9 servers. I am doing this in order to plot
out a production upgrade I am planning going forward to 4.0, and I'm a bit
stuck and I'm hoping it's ok to ask questions here concerning this product
and version.

In my lab, I have many vlans trunked on my switchports, so I have to create
individual vlan interfaces on my RHEL install. During the install, I am
able to pick my ifcfg-eth0.502 interface for rhevm, and ifcfg-eth1.504
interface for NFS, access the storage and create my self-hosted engine. The
issue I am running into is that I get into RHEV-M, and I am continuing to
set the hosts up or add other hosts, when I go to move my NFS network to
host2 it only allows me to select the base eth1 adapter, and not the VLAN
tagged version. I am able to tag the VLAN in the RHEV-M configured network
itself, but this has the unfortunate side effect of tagging a network on
top of the already tagged interface on host1, taking down NFS and the self
hosted engine.

I am able to access the console of host1, and I configure the ifcfg files,
vlan files, and bridge files to be on the correct interfaces, and I get my
host back up, and my RHEV-M back up. However when I try to make these
manual changes to host2 and get it up, the changes to these files are
completely overwritten the moment the host reboots connected to vdsmd
start-up.

Right now, I have vdsmd disabled, and I have host2 configured the way I
need it to be with the rhevm bridge on eth0.502, the NFS bridge on
eth1.504, and my VMNet "guest" bridge on eth1.500, however that leaves me
with a useless host from RHEV standards.

I've checked several different conf files to see where vdsmd is pulling
it's configuration from but I can't find it, or find a way to modify it to
fit my needs.

Any advice or pointers here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in
advance.

AC