[ovirt-users] oVirt repositories 101; or everything you wanted to know about oVirt repositories and didn't ask

Eyal Edri eedri at redhat.com
Sun Apr 9 07:51:58 UTC 2017

Hi oVirt developers and users,

Some of you might be familiar with the oVirt repositories and all their
flavors, while some of you are just familiar with the official releases.
The fact is, we have plenty of them and each has its own role and a right
usage. Moreover, we did a significant overhaul on all the repositories in
the past months,
So hopefully now it will be easier to explain which repo to use when.

I'll start with reviewing each oVirt repository and give a bit of
background and the logic behind it, how to consume it and the relevant
usage for it.
For simplicity, I'll review the repositories on the 4.1 release, but it
valid for all other oVirt releases ( except 'master' which doesn't have an
official or pre-release repositories ).

I will also upload this information to the oVirt.org site, but since this
is important, I didn't want to wait with the sending this email.

*oVirt repositories*

*Official repositories*

*Desc:* here you can find the official signed oVirt RPMs, immediately after
an official release has been done.
*Path:* http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-4.1/rpm/$distro
*Update frequency:* on every oVirt release, usually happens on a monthly
cadence.
*Release rpm: *http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release41.rpm

*Who should use it? *
oVirt users, developers or anyone who wants a final and official release

*Pre-release repositories*

*Desc:* here you can find the pre-release bits of oVirt RC builds, just
before they are released.
*Path:* http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-4.1-pre/rpm/$distro
*Update frequency:* usually on a weekly or bi-weekly basis
*Release rpm: *http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-
release41-pre.rpm

*Who should use it? *
oVirt users, developers or anyone who wants to try out oVirt new version
before its out,
Keeping in mind this isn't a fully verified release and might still have
critical bugs which are not fixed yet.
Packages in this repo are verified by automation and checked by humans for
basic sanity before publishing.

*Nightly snapshot (verified) repositories*

*Desc:* here you can find the nightly snapshot of RPMs, which passed basic
sanity by our 'oVirt System Tests' framework in the oVirt CI system.
*Path:* http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/ovirt-4.1-snapshot/rpm/$distro
*Update frequency:* Every night
*Release rpm: *http://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-
release41-snapshot.rpm

*Who should use it? *
oVirt users, developers or anyone who wants to try out oVirt latest bits
right of the build oven!
We trust our system tests, which already run more than 40 various tests
such as 'add host', 'create VM', 'live migration' and more!

*** Important note: the snapshot repositories are verified only in master
currently, we might do the same for 4.1 soon, as we see no issues with
master so far ** *

*The above repos should suffice to most usres and developers, but if you
feel its not enough and you still need a faster verified repo, look below! *

*Advanced oVirt repositories*

*Builds artifacts repo*

*Desc:* This is a new feature from oVirt 'standard CI' project, where each
'build-artifacts' job is actually a yum repo as well.
*Path:* http://jenkins.ovirt.org/job/ovirt-engine_4.1_
build-artifacts-on-demand-el7-x86_64/lastSuccessfulBuild/
artifact/exported-artifacts ( example )
*Update frequency:* after each commit or 'ci please build' comment
*Release rpm: *N/A

*Who should use it? *
oVirt developers who need latest RPMs from another oVirt project and cannot
or need not wait for that project`s packages to pass OST".
oVirt developers running manual OST job and need to test an open Gerrit
patch, using the 'ci please build' command.

*Tested repositories*

*Desc:* The tested repositories hold all the oVIrt packages which passed CI
( similar to snapshot repos ) and retain also version history for X
versions back.
*Path:* http://resources.ovirt.org/repos/ovirt/tested/4.1/rpm/$distro
*Update frequency:* after each 'build artifacts' job is triggered by any
oVirt project and if the packages passed sanity checks
*Release rpm: *N/A

*Who should use it? *
If you want to have latest and greatest oVirt packages and can't wait for
the nightly repo.
If you are testing upgrades or need more than one version of a pacakge in
your repo.

*Experimental repositories *

*Desc:* Internal CI repos which are a part of the 'experimental' flow which
runs OST on each built package.
*Path:* http://resources.ovirt.org/repos/ovirt/experimental/
4.1/latest.tested/rpm/el7/$distro
*Update frequency:* after each 'build artifacts' job is triggered by any
oVirt project and if the packages passed sanity checks
*Release rpm: *N/A

*Who should use it? *
*No one other than internal CI jobs.*
These repos are constantly refreshed and RPMs are being removed from them,
so they are very prone to errors, please don't use them.

I hope this makes a bit of order in all the repos and how to use them.
If you still have questions, please don't hesitate to contact the infra
team at infra at ovirt.org or just reply to this thread.

--

Eyal edri

ASSOCIATE MANAGER

RHV DevOps

EMEA VIRTUALIZATION R&D

Red Hat EMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
<https://red.ht/sig> TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. <https://redhat.com/trusted>
phone: +972-9-7692018
irc: eedri (on #tlv #rhev-dev #rhev-integ)