[ovirt-users] Memory ballooning not working on RHEV 4.1?

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Sun Apr 16 09:52:23 UTC 2017

> On 14 Apr 2017, at 18:56, Joseph Chapman <chapman.joseph at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I have a RHEV 4.1 host running Windows 10 VMs. I have installed the balloon driver on the VMs (RHEV guest tools), and enabled memory ballooning on the cluster using RHEV-M. On the VMs, I have set the system memory to Memory Size: 4GB, Maximum Memory: 16GB.

Hi Joseph,
ballooning is unrelated to the memory hot plug. You need ballooning for memory overcommit to reclaim the guest’s memory back to host/other VMs. If that is what you want to do the just enable ballooning and use 16GB memory size

> While I can manually hot plug memory, I am not seeing additional memory being automatically allocated to the VMs during a SQL workload. The documentation for RHEV 4.1 is not clear on whether or not this automatic ballooning is functional (earlier documentation suggests that it is functional only by use of an API).

hotplugging is user action, on demand. If you want to have complete control over the guest memory size you can use hotplugging without balloon.
It’s somewhat overlapping, ballooning is more flexible(can inflate and deflate based on host memory pressure), on the other hand requires guest cooperation and some time to settle on the right value.

Thanks,
michal