[ovirt-users] ISSUES WITH EDITING A CLUSTER SO IT CAN BE PART OF A NEW DATACENTER

martin chamambo chamambom at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 05:05:54 UTC 2017

@gianlucca yes you are right that would have worked definitely...because a
prerequisite for removing a storage domain is having another say nfs or
iscsi as the master then decommissioning the old one....i opted for the
longer route of deleting the data center, since I am also still testing the
platform.....

I don't think there is a work flow we are missing...im still researching
for options and will update..but seems there is no easy way

On Apr 18, 2017 12:29 AM, "Gianluca Cecchi" <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 4:03 PM, martin chamambo <chamambom at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I had issues with my master data storage domain and the only way was to
set the hosts in maintenence mode ,delete the datacenter so i can recreate
it....

>> I managed to delete the datacenter and the storage domains , and created
a new datacenter , but now the existing clusters are not part of a
datacenter and trying to add them to the datacenter gives out this error
below

>> Error while executing action: Cannot edit Cluster. Changing management
network in a non-empty cluster is not allowed.

>> and by non empty i guess it means there is a host inside that cluster ?
fair enough

>> trying to change a node cluster comes with the Host Cluster Dropdown
with this

>> Datacenter:Undefined
>>
>> How can i fix the catch 22 scenario without deleting clusters or hosts..
>>

>> surely there should be a smarter way ?
>>

> I don't know how to manage your current situation.
> But I somehow had a similar problem as your initial one a few weeks ago
but for other reasons.
> My case was that I defined an iSCSI DC and then used a LUN to create an
iSCSI storage domain.
> I initially formatted and tested the infrastructure to manage all the
relevant configuration (iSCSI config, multipath config, ecc.) before going
to production.
> Then I had to decommission/re-create this storage domain at its target
stage: my iSCSI lun had to be a raw copy of a SAN FC lun I migrated from
older DC.
> But in the mean time I created a cluster of two hosts and such.... and I
discovered that I was in problem as you described....
> My solution was to create a smaller NFS share and add it as a new storage
domain: in old releases of oVirt it was not possible to mix different types
of storage domains in the same DC, but since 3.4 (oVirt version and DC
version) it is:

http://www.ovirt.org/develop/release-management/features/storage/mixed-types-data-center/

> With this workaround I was able to put then my iSCSI storage domain into
maintenance and have the small NFS one to become the master.
> And finally to remove the iSCSI storage domain and import the copied one,
finally decommissioning the temporary NFS share.

> Not the best way but it could have helped you too, eventually setting a
directory of the host itself as a share for a temporary operation of this
kind.
> In the past it was discussed about SPM removal and by consequence the
removal of master storage domain concept... but probably it didn't get any
update.
> See this whole thread for example:
> http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/users/2016-May/039782.html
>
> For sure it would be nice to have a clean way (if we are not missing some
other correct workflow) to manage the case when you have only one SD and
for some reason you need to scratch it but preserve your DC/cluster config.