[ovirt-users] Compiling oVirt for Debian.

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Thu Apr 20 12:53:39 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 3:45 PM, Leni Kadali Mutungi
<lenikmutungi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/18/17, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:
>>>>>
>>> Found all the source code on gerrit.ovirt.org; not all of it is
>>> mirrored to github.com/ovirt

>>> So does this mean I shouldn't bother with installing otopi, because
>>> according to the development guide for RPM-based systems, it seems
>>> only the ovirt-host-deploy, ovirt-setup-lib, and ovirt-js-dependencies
>>> are the packages required.
>>
>> ovirt-host-deploy requires otopi, and also engine-setup (from the engine
>> git repo) does. So unless you want to start manually imitating what these
>> do (which might not be a terrible idea, if you want to understand more
>> deeply how things work, but will take more time), you do need otopi.
>>
>> Also please note that the above developer guide is probably not complete
>> or up-to-date - please check also README.adoc from the engine sources.
>>
>>> The guide for Debian is blank and marked as
>>> TODO.
>>
>> Indeed, patches are welcome :-)
>>
>> I expect at least some packages to be missing there, didn't check
>> personally.
>>
>>> Another query I had was that should I make the config files
>>> myself as referenced by the README or can I expect that it will be
>>> done during make install?
>>
>> which ones? postgresql's? It's automatically done when you install
>> from RPMs, but not in dev-env mode. So you'll have to do that
>> manually for now.
>
> I was referring to the configuration files referenced in the README
> docs for otopi, ovirt-host-deploy, ovirt-setup-lib, and
> ovirt-js-dependencies.

otopi and ovirt-host-deploy do not need configuration files.
ovirt-setup-lib does not have any (and does not mention any).
No idea about ovirt-js-dependencies.

> I'm not sure that running the make install will
> put the required configuration files in the directories that the
> programs will expect to find them.

Not sure either.

I suggest to check the spec file in the source to see what rpm
installation does, and the gentoo stuff I mentioned earlier.

> If it turns out that that is the
> case, then I think I am all set.

And if you are not, please post specific errors/problems :-)

> I installed postgresql from the
> Debian repositories.

Obviously. When I said "from RPMs", I referred the oVirt and the
provided spec files, not to postgresql. IIRC I already used oVirt
with a postgresql db on a remote Debian machine without problems.

Best,
--
Didi