[ovirt-users] after upgrade from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1, no more gettagsbyparent_id

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Tue Apr 25 08:27:22 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 11:14 AM, Fabrice Bacchella
<fabrice.bacchella at orange.fr> wrote:

>> Le 25 avr. 2017 à 07:59, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> a écrit :
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Fabrice Bacchella
>> <fabrice.bacchella at orange.fr> wrote:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/70h2ajt049i89p6/ovirt-engine.log.tar.gz?dl=0
>>
>> Seems like this wasn't the first error. Before that, the engine lost
>> connection to the database:
>>

>> Later the engine was restarted and then the error you reported.
>>
>> Are you sure your database is ok?
>
> Of course I needed to restart the database, to change the requested setting about vacuum. But it was a scheduled restart, not during the upgrade.
>

>> Please provide the output of 'pg_dump -s' for it, and the output of
>> 'select * from schema_version'.
>>

> it ? what it's name. I have no knowledge of pg, how can I connect to it to give the requested informations.

Sorry, I was under the impression that your organization has some pg
expertise, based on the thread about remote version.

On the pg machine, this should work:
su - postgres -c 'pg_dump -s engine' > engine-schema.dump
su - postgres -c 'psql engine -c "select * from schema_version;"' >
schema-version-table

To do this from the engine machine, you'd need to pass more options to
supply the credentials.
You can find those that you use for the engine in
/etc/ovirt-engine/engine.conf.d/10-setup-database.conf .

>> Can you please describe the full flow that you went through?
>
> On last friday, I tried a first upgrade, but it stop because of the requested version mismatch. So I stopped it and asked for help.
>
> On monday I tried to apply the tuning on my database about autovacuum and so restart it.
>
> At this time, ovirt was still working fine.
>
> I then upgraded the pg client, to match pg_dump with the server but not the jdbc library, to keep the one supported (9.2).

Please explain this last part with more details.

IIUC your pg client was 9.4.8, and now it's 9.4.11.

Please share yum logs (or whatever you have if you installed it not using yum).
Please share all engine-setup logs.

I think the engine should work just fine with pg 9.5 (Fedora 25's
default). Never heard about using 9.4.

> And then it failed and didn't want to restart any more.

So all was good until you changed (downgraded?) your pg client? So
perhaps try to revert that. Although if you didn't change your jdbc
library, I do not think this should have affected you. But in any
case, if the failure was not caused by running 'engine-setup', it's
most likely not due to a bug in engine-setup, but elsewhere.

Best,
--
Didi