[ovirt-users] oVirt 4.1.1 and ovn problems

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 10:52:12 UTC 2017

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Marcin Mirecki <mmirecki at redhat.com> wrote:

> It looks like ndb is listening (netstat shows this), but not receiving
> anything (log is empty).
> This looks like a connectivity issue.
> Can the provider host ping the ovn host?

Yes. The provider host is the oVirt self hosted engine VM

> Is firewalld/iptables disabled on both hosts?

Firewall is disabled on all 3 oVirt hosts. While on engine VM side the
firewalld service is active but with needed ports enabled.

[g.cecchi at ovmgr1 ~]$ sudo firewall-cmd --get-default-zone
public

[g.cecchi at ovmgr1 ~]$ sudo firewall-cmd --get-active-zones
public
  interfaces: ens192

[g.cecchi at ovmgr1 ~]$ sudo firewall-cmd --list-all
public (active)
  target: default
  icmp-block-inversion: no
  interfaces: ens192
  sources:
  services: dhcpv6-client ovirt-fence-kdump-listener ovirt-http ovirt-https
ovirt-imageio-proxy ovirt-postgres ovirt-provider-ovn ovirt-vmconsole-proxy
ovirt-websocket-proxy ssh
  ports:
  protocols:
  masquerade: no
  forward-ports:
  sourceports:
  icmp-blocks:
  rich rules:
    rule family="ipv4" port port="6641" protocol="tcp" accept
    rule family="ipv4" port port="6642" protocol="tcp" accept
[g.cecchi at ovmgr1 ~]$

> Let's make sure that OVN is working fine.
> I attach a short python script that checks the connection from the
> localhost.
> Please check if it can connect to ovn from localhost (just execute this on
> the host with ovn: "python tcp_connection_test.py" ).
> It should connect and print out all the OVN networks.
> Does this work?
> <https://www.redhat.com>

It seems so. If I run on my ovm provider host:

[g.cecchi at ovmgr1 ~]$ python /tmp/tcp_connection_test.py
connecting  1
connecting  2
CONNECTED!
ROW: uuid:04501f6b-3977-4ba1-9ead-7096768d796d  name:ovn172
ROW: uuid:6110649a-db2b-4de7-8fbc-601095cfe510  name:ovn192
[g.cecchi at ovmgr1 ~]$

Perhaps I was not clear at the beginning.... I try to reformulate.
I noticed that ovn didn't work after upgrade from 4.1.0 to 4.1.1.
Then in oVirt OVN documentation I found about the  "set" commands to give
in case of openvswitch 2.7
And in fact after giving the commands I was able to start VM with OVN vnics
and they was able to communicate through openvswitch.

The problem was the persistence of the set command. It seems that after
restarting engine VM (that is my provider host), the setting is not
maintained....

Gianluca