[ovirt-users] Hosted engine already imported

Jamie Lawrence jlawrence at squaretrade.com
Wed Apr 26 17:18:53 UTC 2017

> On Apr 26, 2017, at 1:49 AM, Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> In my hopefully-near-complete quest to automate Ovirt configuration in our environment, I’m very close. One outstanding issue that remains is that, even though the hosted engine storage domain actually was imported and shows in the GUI, some part of Ovirt appears to think that hasn’t happened yet.
>
> We'll be happy to hear, once complete, how you've achieved this automation.
> Note that there are several implementations already doing this successfully. See [1] for one.

Thanks, I looked at that. Our implementation is pretty site-specific, but briefly, the Ovirt part is just a set of Puppet classes and some scripts for glue. The site specific stuff does things like driving our Gluster config, dumping the DB/loading into our PG cluster[1] and reconfiguring, hooking in to monitoring, replacing the Apache SSL cert, etc.

The basic stuff isn’t all that different than one of the generic Puppetforge modules, and if you don’t have our exact environment and requirements, the rest of it wouldn’t be useful.

-j

Still hoping for a response to the original question…

> One outstanding issue that remains is that, even though the hosted engine storage domain actually was imported and shows in the GUI, some part of Ovirt appears to think that hasn’t happened yet.
>
> In the GUI, a periodic error is logged: “The Hosted Engine Storage Domain doesn’t exist. It will be imported automatically…”
>
> In engine.log, all I’m seeing that appears relevant is:
>
> 2017-04-25 10:28:57,988-07 INFO  [org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.storage.domain.ImportHostedEngineStorageDomainCommand] (org.ovirt.thread.pool-6-thread-9) [1e44dde0] Lock Acquired to object 'EngineLock:{exclusiveLocks='[]', sharedLocks='null'}'
> 2017-04-25 10:28:57,992-07 WARN  [org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.storage.domain.ImportHostedEngineStorageDomainCommand] (org.ovirt.thread.pool-6-thread-9) [1e44dde0] Validation of action 'ImportHostedEngineStorageDomain' failed for user SYSTEM. Reasons: VAR__ACTION__ADD,VAR__TYPE__STORAGE__DOMAIN,ACTION_TYPE_FAILED_STORAGE_DOMAIN_ALREADY_EXIST
> 2017-04-25 10:28:57,992-07 INFO  [org.ovirt.engine.core.bll.storage.domain.ImportHostedEngineStorageDomainCommand] (org.ovirt.thread.pool-6-thread-9) [1e44dde0] Lock freed to object 'EngineLock:{exclusiveLocks='[]', sharedLocks='null’}’
>
> Otherwise the log is pretty clean.
>
> I saw nothing of interest in the Gluster logs or the hosted-engine-ha logs on the host it is running on.
>
> It appears harmless, but then we aren’t actually using these systems yet, and in any case we don’t want the error spamming the log forever. This is 4.1.1.8-1.el7.centos, hosted engine on Centos 7.6.1311, Gluster for both the hosted engine and general data domains.

-j

[1] We are a DB heavy shop and want our DBAs managing backups and whatnot, and the installer barfs because we aren’t running an ancient PG version and tune our DBs differently than the absurdly-mandatory Ovirt defaults, so this dance is painful.