[ovirt-users] change Memory Ballooning setting

Michal Skrivanek mskrivan at redhat.com
Fri Apr 28 16:46:29 UTC 2017

On 27 Apr 2017, at 16:29, Nelson Lameiras <nelson.lameiras at lyra-network.com>
wrote:

Hello oVirt gurus,

When activating/deactivating memory balloning on VM, this will
change /usr/libexec/qemu-kvm command line on host on vm startup (you can
see it using "ps aux").
So I understand a vm reboot is needed to take this change into account.

Right. That option controls the presence of the virtio-balloon device which
is not hotpluggable

But when activating/deactivating memory balloning on Cluster (plus MoM Sync
on host) I do not really understand what happens "under the hood"

This controls the actual behavior, inflating and deflating of those
balloons. That can be done in runtime as it is external to the VM, managed
by MOM demon.

- Is there a mechanism on host which controls "memory balloning" globally?
- Is it able to change it's behaviour "on the fly" with "MoM Sync" ?

Yes. You can change the policy/behavior.

HTH,
michal

If you have any information, it would be greatly appreciated

cordialement, regards,

<element-signature_logo_lyra_115x94.jpg> <https://www.lyra-network.com/>
Nelson LAMEIRAS
Ingénieur Systèmes et Réseaux / Systems and Networks engineer
Tel: +33 5 32 09 09 70
nelson.lameiras at lyra-network.com
www.lyra-network.com | www.payzen.eu <https://payzen.eu>
<element-signature_logo_YouTube_32x28.jpg>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrVl1CO_Jlu3KbiRH-tQ_vA>
<element-signature_logo_LinkedIn_41x28.jpg>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/lyra-network_2>
<element-signature_logo_Twitter_42x28.jpg> <https://twitter.com/LyraNetwork>
<element-signature_payzen_61x28.jpg> <https://payzen.eu>