[ovirt-users] [Call for feedback] share also your successful upgrades experience

Gabriel Stein gabrielstein at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 19:11:27 UTC 2017

Well, I finally upgraded all to 4.2. Unfortunately I broke a Server in the
upgrade process and I needed much more time than expected(the Host was with
Hosted Engine and Gluster). I will not go further on that problems because
I interrupted the upgrade process and try to fix it and I ended with a
kernel panic.

I recommend to use tmux or screen for the upgrade.

My experience:

I used this tutorial for the upgrade process:
https://ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-engine/#upgrade-hosted-engine

You can use it for the Hosted Engine VM and the Hosts. Be patient, don't
interrupt the yum update process, and follow the instructions.
If you have a locale different than US-UTF8, please change it for US-UTF8
before the upgrade process. Where? /etc/locale.conf on CentOS. If you are
using e.g. puppet, please deactivate it on upgrade process, to avoid the
locale change(if you have something on puppet that changes it).

Problems:

I still having problems with glusterfs(Peer Rejected) and unstable, but it
probably happens because I copied the UUID from the broke server from
glusterfs and added the new installed server with same ip back to gluster.

IMHO:
Please check that you have the engine backup done. Save it somewhere, NFS,
rsync-it to another server....
When running engine-setup after the yum update on ovirt-engine VM: don't to
the in place upgrade from postgresql. It's really nice to have it, but you
you can avoid risks, why do so?
Keep the Backup from Postgresql.

Previous Version: 4.1.x
Updated to: 4.2