[ovirt-users] question regarding fencing proxies

Martin Perina mperina at redhat.com
Sat Jan 14 12:07:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

engine executes power management (fencing) operation using different host
in the same cluster/DC as target host reside. It's an oVirt requirement
that each host in the same cluster and data center is able to connect to
power management deviced of all other hosts in the same cluster/DC.
​

Here's simplified flow for defaults (fence proxy may be selected in the
same cluster or DC)

1. Find all existing hosts in the same cluster​ which don't have connection
issues (status Up, Maintenance, NonOperational for a reason different than
network issues)
2. Select first host in Up (if no host is Up, then pick any other host, if
no host found continue with DC in step 5) and try to execute fence operation
3. If fence operation is successful, exit
4. If not, retry 2 times and if still not successful go back to step 2 but
exclude already problematic fence proxy
5. Find all existing hosts in the same data center​ which don't have
connection issues (status Up, Maintenance, NonOperational for a reason
different than network issues)
6. Select first host in Up (if no host is Up, then pick any other host, if
no host found then fail and exit) and try to execute fence operation
7. If fence operation is successful, exit
8. If not, retry 2 times and if still not successful go back to step 6 but
exclude already problematic fence proxy
9. If still no success, fail

As you see your setup with only 2 hosts is kinda fragile (and not only for
fencing operations), you need to assure that 1 hosts is always in perfect
condition. If possible I'd recommend you to add at least one other host if
possible to make your setup more resistant to failures.

Martin Perina