[ovirt-users] Recovering hosted-engine

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Mon Jul 3 14:23:09 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Andrew Dent <adent at ctcroydon.com.au> wrote:
> Hi Didi
>
> Fair enough.
> If I'm in this situation.....
> I have 3 hosts with 6 production VMs.
> The hosted-engine VM is completely toast and not recoverable.

Meaning? It does not even boot? If so, then I am afraid that you
need to follow the linked procedure, including deploying hosted-engine
again on new (or fully cleaned) storage.

Are all 3 hosts also hosted-engine hosts? And you want to keep them
this way? If so, you'll have to reinstall them.

I think, didn't try, that after you deploy a new hosted-engine host,
and restore the engine, the new engine will see your existing hosts,
but hosted-engine-ha will not work.

If you want to try and keep your VMs running, I guess your best bet
is to try to add a new non-hosted-engine host (one or more, as needed),
migrate your VMs to it (them), then remove the hosted-engine hosts and
deploy them again as described there.

> However I have a backup of the hosted-engine database (do I need anything
> else).

Only database? Or a backup taken by engine-backup? You also need various
configuration files. To see the full list, in case you didn't use
engine-backup but can restore individual files, check BACKUP_PATHS inside
the script. But this is definitely not supported - you should first try
verifying by restoring on a test VM and see what happens.

> Is it possible to build a new VM, import the backup of the previous
> hosted-engine database and reconnect the storage domains and VMs in their
> running state without any VMs experiencing an outage?

As I wrote above, I think it is, but hosted-engine-ha will not work.

If at all possible, I strongly suggest to try to simulate this in a
test env. Can be done using nested-kvm VMs for hosts, if you do not have
enough real hardware.

> The URL
> http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-Backing_up_and_Restoring_an_EL-Based_Self-Hosted_Environment/
> looks to be longer now.
> I'll review, test and see if this will give me what I'm looking for.
>
> The broken link still seems to be broken.
> When I click the link, the browser ends up at this
> http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-Backing_up_and_Restoring_an_EL-Based_Self-Hosted_Environment/chap-Installing_Additional_Hosts_to_a_Self-Hosted_Environment#documentation%20self%20hosted%20chap%20Backing%20up%20and%20Restoring%20an%20EL%20Based%20Self%20Hosted%20Environment%20chap%20Installing%20Additional%20Hosts%20to%20a%20Self%20Hosted%20Environment
>
> But I suspect it should be
> http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-Installing_Additional_Hosts_to_a_Self-Hosted_Environment/

In my previous mail I just wrote I sent a pull request, not that
the site is updated already. I updated it since and it now seems
ok to me.

Best,

--
Didi