[ovirt-users] Best practices for LACP bonds on oVirt

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Tue Jul 4 05:49:08 UTC 2017

On Tue, Jul 4, 2017 at 3:51 AM, Vinícius Ferrão <ferrao at if.ufrj.br> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m deploying oVirt for the first time and a question has emerged: what is the good practice to enable LACP on oVirt Node? Should I create 802.3ad bond during the oVirt Node installation in Anaconda, or it should be done in a posterior moment inside the Hosted Engine manager?

Adding Simone for this, but I think that hosted-engine --deploy does
not know to create bonds, so you better do this beforehand. It does
know to recognize bonds and their slaves, and so will not let you
configure the ovirtmgmt bridge on one of the slave nics of a bond.

> In my deployment we have 4x GbE interfaces. eth0 and eth1 will be a LACP bond for management and servers VLAN’s, while eth1 and eth2 are Multipath iSCSI disks (MPIO).

You probably meant eth2 and eth3 for the latter bond.

This is probably more a matter of personal preference than a result of
a scientific examination, but I personally prefer, assuming that eth0
and eth1 are managed by a single PCI component and eth2 and eth3 by
another one, and especially if they are different, and using different
kernel modules, to have one bond on eth0 and eth2, and another on eth1
and eth3. This way, presumably, if some (hardware or software) bug hits
one of the PCI devices, both bonds hopefully keep working.

Just my two cents,

> Thanks,
> V.

Didi