[ovirt-users] Upgrading HC from 4.0 to 4.1

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 09:48:34 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Sahina Bose <sabose at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 12:21 AM, Doug Ingham <dougti at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Only problem I would like to manage is that I have gluster network shared
>>> with ovirtmgmt one.
>>> Can I move it now with these updated packages?
>>>

>> Are the gluster peers configured with the same hostnames/IPs as your
>> hosts within oVirt?
>>
>> Once they're configured on the same network, separating them might be a
>> bit difficult. Also, the last time I looked, oVirt still doesn't support
>> managing HCI oVirt/Gluster nodes running each service on a different
>> interface (see below).
>>
>> In theory, the procedure would involve stopping all of the Gluster
>> processes on all of the peers, updating the peer addresses in the gluster
>> configs on all of the nodes, then restarting glusterd & the bricks. I've
>> not tested this however, and it's not a "supported" procedure. I've no idea
>> how oVirt would deal with these changes either.
>>

> Which version of glusterfs do you have running now? With glusterfs>= 3.9,
> there's a reset-brick command that can help you do this.

At this moment on my oVirt nodes I have gluster packages as provided by
4.1.2 repos, so:

glusterfs-3.8.13-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-api-3.8.13-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-cli-3.8.13-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-client-xlators-3.8.13-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-fuse-3.8.13-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-geo-replication-3.8.13-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-libs-3.8.13-1.el7.x86_64
glusterfs-server-3.8.13-1.el7.x86_64
vdsm-gluster-4.19.15-1.el7.centos.noarch

Is 3.9 version of Gluster packages provided when updating to upcoming
4.1.3, perhaps?

> It's possible to move to the new interface for gluster.
>
> The procedure would be:
>
> 1. Create a network with "gluster" network role.
> 2. On each host, use "Setup networks" to associate the gluster network on
> the desired interface. (This would ensure thet the engine will peer probe
> this interface's IP address as well, so that it can be used to identify the
> host in brick defintion)
> 3. For each of the volume's bricks - change the definition of the brick,
> so that the new ip address is used. Ensure that there's no pending heal
> (i.e gluster volume heal info - should list 0 entires) before you start
> this(see https://gluster.readthedocs.io/en/latest/release-notes/3.9.0/ -
> Introducing reset-brick command)
>
> gluster volume reset-brick VOLNAME <original-hostname/ip>:BRICKPATH start
> gluster volume reset-brick VOLNAME <original-hostname/ip>:BRICKPATH <new-gluster-interface-ip>:BRICKPATH commit force

So do you think I can use any other commands with oVirt 4.1.2 and gluster
3.8?
Can I safely proceed with steps 1 and 2? When I setup a gluster network and
associated it to one host, what are exactly the implications? Will I
disrupt anything, or is it seen only an option for having gluster traffing
going on...?

BTW: How would I complete the webadmin gui part of step 3? I don't see an
"edit" brick funcionality; I only see "Add" and "Replace Brick"...

Thanks,
Gianluca