[ovirt-users] How to create a new Gluster volume

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 11:08:16 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to create a new volume. I'm in 4.1.2
> I'm following these indications:
> http://www.ovirt.org/documentation/admin-guide/chap-Working_with_Gluster_
> Storage/
>
> When I click the "add brick" button, I don't see anything in "Brick
> Directory" dropdown field and I cannot manuall input a directory name.
>
> On the 3 nodes I already have formatted and mounted fs
>
> [root at ovirt01 ~]# df -h /gluster/brick3/
> Filesystem                  Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
> /dev/mapper/gluster-export   50G   33M   50G   1% /gluster/brick3
> [root at ovirt01 ~]#
>
> The guide tells
>
> 7. Click the Add Bricks button to select bricks to add to the volume.
> Bricks must be created externally on the Gluster Storage nodes.
>
> What does it mean with "created externally"?
> The next step from os point would be volume creation but it is indeed what
> I would like to do from the gui...
>
> Thanks,
> Gianluca

It seems I have to de-select the checkbox "Show available bricks from host"
and so I can manually the the directory of the bricks

BTW: I see that after creating a volume optimized for oVirt in web admin
gui of 4.1.2 I get slight option for it in respect for a pre-existing
volume created in 4.0.5 during initial setup with gdeploy.

NOTE: during 4.0.5 setup I had gluster 3.7 installed, while now I have
gluster 3.10 (manually updated from CentOS storage SIG)

Making a "gluster volume info" and then a diff of the output for the 2
volumes I have:

new volume ==   <
old volume  ==    >

< cluster.shd-max-threads: 8
---
> cluster.shd-max-threads: 6
13a13,14
> features.shard-block-size: 512MB
16c17
< network.remote-dio: enable
---
> network.remote-dio: off
23a25
> performance.readdir-ahead: on
25c27
< server.allow-insecure: on
---
> performance.strict-o-direct: on

Do I have to change anything for the newly created one?

Thanks,
Gianluca