[ovirt-users] 2 hosts starting the engine at the same time?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 15:42:51 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Yedidyah Bar David <didi at redhat.com> wrote:

> > Currently I have set the environment in global maintenance.
> > Does it make sense to try to start the HostedEngine with an alternate
> > vm.conf to crosscheck it it is then able to start ok?
>
> Not sure. Depends on why you think it currently fails. Sorry but I didn't
> check your logs yet.

Because in 4.1.2 it started. During update to 4.1.3 I moved the engine vm
without problems to the already updated hosts.
But I suppose during migration the qemu-kvm command line is preserverd,
isn't it?
And only when I planned to update kernel of the engine vm so I had to power
off it, I began to have problems....

> > I see that there is the file /var/run/ovirt-hosted-engine-ha/vm.conf
> that
> > seems refreshed every minute
>
> Indeed. In recent versions it's possible to change some of the HE VM
> configuration from the engine itself, just like any other VM, so HA
> has to update this file.
>

> > It seems that apparently I can copy it into another place, modify it and
> try
> > to start engine with the modified file using
> >
> > hosted-engine --vm-start --vm-conf=/alternate/path_vm.conf
> >
> > is it correct?
>
> Yes, as also written here:
>
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/hosted-
> engine/#handle-engine-vm-boot-problems
>

> > the modified file would be such that:
> >
> > [root at ovirt02 images]# diff /var/run/ovirt-hosted-engine-ha/vm.conf
> > /root/alternate_vm.conf
> > 1,2c1,2
> > < cpuType=Broadwell
> > < emulatedMachine=pc-i440fx-rhel7.3.0
> > ---
> >> cpuType=qemu64
> >> emulatedMachine=pc-i440fx-rhel7.2.0
> > [root at ovirt02 images]#
>
> No idea about your specific issue or whether this can fix it, but you can
> try.
> Especially if you can test on a test env...
>
> Best,
> --
> Didi

And in fact the engine vm is now up again with the customized parameters
How can I have it permanent? Frome where on shared storage are they read?

Possibly the problems is generated by my nested environment:

L0 = ESXi 6.0 U2 on NUC6i5syh
L1 are my oVirt hosts on this L0
L2 is my engine VM that doesn't start in 4.1.3

it seems that
cpuType=Broadwell and/or emulatedMachine=pc-i440fx-rhel7.3.0
generates problems....

And I think I would have same problems with ordinary VMs, correct?
Gianluca