[ovirt-users] 2 hosts starting the engine at the same time?

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 09:51:41 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Michal Skrivanek <mskrivan at redhat.com>
wrote:

> > On 12 Jul 2017, at 16:30, Gianluca Cecchi <gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > In the mean time I have verified that the problem is with
> >
> > emulatedMachine=pc-i440fx-rhel7.3.0
>
> Might be. The fact that it works with 7.2 in esxi nested environment
> is nice, but definitely not supported.
> Use lower-than-broadwell CPU - that might help. Instead of qemu64
> which is emulated...but if if works fast enough and reliably for you
> then it's fine

The qemu64 is not a problem actually, because if I set cpu Broadwell and
machine type pc-i440fx-rhel7.2.0 things go well.
Also, on an older physical hw with Westmere CPUs where I have oVirt 4.1
too, the VMs start with emulatedMachine=pc-i440fx-rhel7.3.0, so this
parameter doesn't depend on cpu itself.

I think emulatedMachine is comparable to vSphere Virtual HW instead,
correct?
And that this functionality is provided actually by qemu-kvm-ev (and
perhaps in junction with seabios?).
If I run

rpm -q --changelog qemu-kvm-ev I see in fact

* Mon Jun 06 2016 Miroslav Rezanina <mrezanin at redhat.com> - rhev-2.6.0-5.el7
- kvm-pc-New-default-pc-i440fx-rhel7.3.0-machine-type.patch [bz#1305121]

So it means that at a certain point, the default machine type used by
qemu-kvm-ev has become 7.3 and this generates problems in my specific lab
environment now (not searching "official" support for it.. ;-).
For the other ordinary L2 VMs definedinside this oVirt nested environment,
I can set in System --> Advanced Parameters --> Custom Emulated Machine the
value pc-i440fx-rhel7.2.0 and I'm ok and they are able to start.
The problem still remains for the engine vm itself, where I cannot manually
set it.
Possibly is there a qemu-kvm-ev overall system configuration where I can
tell to force emulated machine type to pc-i440fx-rhel7.2.0 (without
downgrading qemu-kvm-ev)?

Otherwise I know that when I have to poweroff/restart the engine vm I have
to manually start it in 7.2 mode, as I'm testing right now.

Hope I have clarified better...

Gianluca