[ovirt-users] [oVirt4.1] Does oVirt 4.1 support iSCSI offload?

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Sun May 7 06:48:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:57 PM, wodel youchi <wodel.youchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again, and sorry for the delay, I was sick, actually I am still
> sick.... :-(
>
> Just to have more details, from what I have read about iSCSI offload,
> there are two modes, depending on the hardware you have (the adapter),
> using VMware terminology, no offense :-) , there is :
>
> - Dependent mode : in this mode the adapter still need the software iSCSI
> to use the network configuration of the nic port, so the discovery is done
> on tcp, the rest on offload driver like bnxi2.

This one is similar to TCP offload - the iSCSI processing is done on the
HW, the rest is done in software and is supported - it looks like regular
iSCSI to oVirt.

> - Independent mode : in this mode the adapter takes all the work by
> itself, the network part, it will have it's own IP address and so on, and
> it does not need anything from the OS or the software iSCSI, the
> configuration is made in the BIOS of the adapter, and the connection is
> made before the OS is up.

This one indeed is transparent to the OS, and it looks like FC to oVirt.

> Does the configuration on oVirt support the two modes? and is there any
> differences when using them, I mean during the setup.

Both are supported. The former looks like regular iSCSI, the latter like FC
to oVirt.
Y.