[ovirt-users] recommendations for best performance and reliability

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 10:03:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

Can someone please give me some pointers, what would be the best setup for
performance and reliability?

We have the following hardware setup:

3x Supermicro server with following features per server:
128GB RAM
4x 8TB SATA HDD
2x SSD drives (intel_ssdsc2ba400g4 - 400GB DC S3710)
2x 12 core CPU (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v4 @ 2.20GHz
Quad port 10Gbe Inter NIC
2x 10GB Cisco switches (to isolate storage network from LAN)

One of the servers will be in another office, with a 600Mb wireless link
for Disaster Recovery.

What is recommended for the best setup in terms of redundancy and speed?

I am guessing GlusterFS with a Distributed Striped Replicated Volume across
3 of the servers.

For added performance I want to use the SSD drives, perhaps with dm-cache?

Should I combine the 4x HDD's using LVM on each host node?
What about RAID 6?

Virtual Machines will then reside on the oVirt Cluster and any one of the 3
host nodes can fail, or any single HDD can fail and all should still work,
right/?

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers