[ovirt-users] Upgrading from Hosted Engine 3.6 to 4.X

Cam Wright cwright at cuttingedge.com.au
Wed Nov 22 12:46:13 UTC 2017

Hi there,

We're looking to upgrade our hosted engine setup from 3.6 to 4.0 (or 4.1)...

We built the 3.6 setup a couple of years ago with Fedora 22 (we wanted
the newer-at-the-time kernel 4.4) on the hosts and engine, but when we
move to 4.X we'd like to move to EL7 on the engine (as that seems to
be the supported version) and to the oVirt Node ISO installer on the
hypervisors.

We've got only four hosts in our oVirt datacentre, configured in two clusters.

Our current idea is to take a backup of the oVirt database using the
backup-restore tool, and to take a 'dd' of the virtual disk too, for
good measure. Then upgrade the engine to 4.X and confirm that the 3.6
hosts will run, and then finally piecemeal upgrade the hosts to 4.X
using the oVirt Node ISO installer.

Looking at this page -
https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/self-hosted/chap-Maintenance_and_Upgrading_Resources/
- it seems the 'hosted-engine --upgrade-appliance' path is the best
way to do this... but because our hosts are running Fedora instead of
EL, I think that makes this option moot to us.

Is what I've suggested a valid upgrade path, or is there a more sane
way of going about this?

-C

Cam Wright - Systems and Technical Resource Administrator
CUTTINGEDGE /
90 Victoria St, West End, Brisbane, QLD, 4101
T + 61 7 3013 6200    M 0420 827 007
E cwright at cuttingedge.com.au | W www.cuttingedge.com.au

/SYD /BNE /TYO

--

This email is confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.
  If you have received this email in error please notify the author and