[ovirt-users] OVS DPDK Performance

Irit Goihman igoihman at redhat.com
Tue Nov 28 08:12:55 UTC 2017

Hi Fernando,

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:25 PM, FERNANDO FREDIANI <
fernando.frediani at upx.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> As some may have seen recently OVS DPDK has been introduced to oVirt (
> https://ovirt.org/blog/2017/09/ovs-dpdk/). This is very interesting
> feature which can make a huge performance difference in terms of network
> performance.
>
> Just wanted to ask if anyone has tested it in any environment and made any
> comparison, specially for packet forward (e.g: running Virtual Routers or
> Virtual Firewalls with virtio) or packet dropping as well.

You can see Intel OVS DPDK performance results compared to OVS native in
https://download.01.org/packet-processing/ONPS2.1/Intel_ONP_Release_2.1_Performance_Test_Report_Rev1.0.pdf

Performance results of OVS DPDK in oVirt setup will be published soon.

> One doubt I have and if someone could clarify is: Should I enable DPDK in
> the Host any traffic forwarded to any VMs will automatically benefit from
> this performance gain of DPDK or there additional steps that need to be put
> in place inside the VM when sharing a physical Network Interface ?

Enabling DPDK is not enough. Since it's tightly coupled to system hardware
a few steps are needed in order to achieve good performance results. For
example: disabling interrupts, enabling hugepages, isolating CPU cores,
allocating them to PMD threads and pinning vcpus.

More information can be found here:
http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/intro/install/dpdk/
http://dpdk.org/doc/guides-16.04/linux_gsg/nic_perf_intel_platform.html

> Thanks