[ovirt-users] "Cannot acquire bridge address" / Failure in "hosted-engine --deploy" on 4.1.8

Simone Tiraboschi stirabos at redhat.com
Tue Nov 28 17:15:06 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:46 AM, Frank Wall <fw at moov.de> wrote:

> Hi Simone,
>
> thanks for your quick reply, much appreciated!
>
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 10:04:10AM +0100, Simone Tiraboschi wrote:
> > what happened to you is exactly https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1317125
> which
> > has been closed as wontfix.
>
> I've seen this bugzilla issue, but TBH I was a bit baffled. Back in the
> days
> of oVirt 3.x it was *mandatory* to setup the bridge manually, now it's
> unsupported. :D

Technically hosted-engine-setup was already using vdsm to create the
management network in its 1.0 release
https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/16716/
so I don't think we ever required to manually do it just for that purpose
or at least not on common configurations.

> I remember setting up a 4.0.x environment earlier this year and did not
> experience this issue. And I couldn't find any information as to which
> release
> introduced this (breaking) change.
>
> Several places still talk about manually creating bridges, maybe it would
> be a good idea to remove this dated documentation or add a hint that this
> does not apply to the current release:
>
> https://www.ovirt.org/documentation/how-to/networking/bonding-vlan-bridge/
> (There might be more pages, I haven't done an extensive search.)

I'm absolutely with you on this: by the way that page still recommends to
disable NetwokrManager which instead is not an issue today.