[ovirt-users] deprecating export domain?

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sun Oct 1 11:50:58 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 9:58 AM Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Charles Kozler <ckozleriii at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently read on this list from a redhat member that export domain is
>> either being deprecated or looking at being deprecated

We want to deprecate the export domain, but it is not deprecated yet.

>> To that end, can you share details? Can you share any notes/postings/bz's
>> that document this? I would imagine something like this would be discussed
>> in larger audience

I agree.

>> This seems like a somewhat significant change to make and I am curious
>> where this is scheduled? Currently, a lot of my backups rely explicitly on
>> an export domain for online snapshots, so I'd like to plan accordingly

Can you describe how you backup your vms using export domain?
What do you mean by online snapshots?

> We believe that the ability to detach and attach a data domain provides
> equivalent and even superior functionality to the export domain. Is there
> anything you'd miss? I don't believe it would be a significant change.

Attaching and detaching data domain was not designed for backing up vms.
How would you use it for backup?

How do you ensure that a backup clone of a vm is not started by mistake,
changing the backup contents?

Nir