[ovirt-users] deprecating export domain?

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sun Oct 15 16:13:38 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 3:32 PM Maor Lipchuk <mlipchuk at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 2:50 PM, Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 9:58 AM Yaniv Kaul <ykaul at redhat.com> wrote:

> > We want to deprecate the export domain, but it is not deprecated yet.

> notes/postings/bz's
> discussed
> >

> > I agree.

> explicitly on
> >

> > Can you describe how you backup your vms using export domain?
> > What do you mean by online snapshots?
> >

> >> We believe that the ability to detach and attach a data domain provides
> >> equivalent and even superior functionality to the export domain. Is
> there
> >> anything you'd miss? I don't believe it would be a significant change.
> >

> > Attaching and detaching data domain was not designed for backing up vms.
> > How would you use it for backup?
> >
> > How do you ensure that a backup clone of a vm is not started by mistake,
> > changing the backup contents?
>
> That is a good question.
> We recently introduced a new feature called "backup storage domain"
> which you can mark the storage domain as backup storage domain.
> That can guarantee that no VMs will run with disks/leases reside on
> the storage domain.

How older systems will handle the backup domain, when they do not
know about backup domains?

> The feature should already exist in oVirt 4.2 (despite a bug that
> should be handled with this patch https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/81290/)
> You can find more information on this here:
>
> https://github.com/shubham0d/ovirt-site/blob/41dcb0f1791d90d1ae0ac43cd34a399cfedf54d8/source/develop/release-management/features/storage/backup-storage-domain.html.md
>
> Basically the OVF that is being saved in the export domain should be
> similar to the same one that is being saved in the OVF_STORE disk in
> the storage domain.

There is no guarantee that the OVF_STORE will contain the vm xml after
the domain is detached.

> If the user manages replication on that storage domain it can be
> re-used for backup purposes by importing it to a setup.
> Actually it is much more efficient to use a data storage domain than
> to use the copy operation to/from the export storage domain.

For backup you have to do:

1. take snapshot
2. attach the backup domain to the system
3. clone the vm to the backup domain
4. manually force update the OVF_STORE

For restore you have to do:

1. attach the backup domain to the system
2. clone the vm from the backup domain to the data domain

How backup domain is more efficient?