[ovirt-users] Resize disk of powered on VM

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 13:19:46 UTC 2017

Hello,
I'm in 4.1.6.
I have a VM with 2 virtio-scsi disks (on FC).
If I try to do a resize of the boot disk (preallocated) from this menu:
1)
- select VM
- disks sub tab
- select disk
- edit
- edit virtual disk window
- extend size by X Gb
I get error about "not all VMs are powered down"

Instead if I do a resize of the same disk from this menu:
2)
- select VM
- edit VM
- find the line of the disk and select the "edit" button at the right
- edit virtual disk window
- extend size by X Gb
it works as expected, so without downtime

Is this expected?

Actually after 2) scenario, I had retried 1) and it works too this time.
During the first 1) that failed, I see this in engine.log:

 Validation of action 'UpdateVmDisk' failed for user admin at internal-authz.
Reasons: VAR__AC
TION__UPDATE,VAR__TYPE__DISK,ACTION_TYPE_FAILED_VM_IS_NOT_DOWN

But the VM is indeed up on all 3 attempts.... so I don't understand this
message

On another VM, again with a disk configured as virtio-scsi, but configured
as thin provisioned, both from 1) and 2) scenario I get:

c7service:

   - Cannot edit Virtual Disk. Cannot edit Virtual Disk. Disk extension
   combined with disk compat version update isn't supported. Please perform
   the updates separately.

What does it mean "perform the updates separately"? I cannot online resize
thin provisioned disks?
The VM has only one disk, BTW.

Thanks,
Gianluca