[ovirt-users] HEVM root reset?

Joop jvdwege at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 29 10:46:17 UTC 2017

On 28-10-2017 23:25, Chas Ecomm wrote:
> My issue:
>
> I’ve inherited a 4.1 hosted-engine setup. This is for a non-profit, so
> the previous consultant did what she could to save capital expense by
> using older gear and oVirt rather than VMware/Hyper-V and newer
> equipment.  For the most part it has worked quite well as I understand
> it.  This particular setup has gone from 3.5 with a standalone engine
> to 4.1 with a hosted engine, in case that matters.
>
> The VMs hosted on the 2 clusters associated with this engine are
> currently working fine, but I am trying to get into the hosted-engine
> VM, and either there was a problem with the root password during setup
> and the hosted-engine-setup script didn’t catch it or I’ve been given
> a bad password.  The previous admin didn’t setup any alternative
> users, which is a major no-no in my book, and so I’m trying to do that
> – but I can’t login to the VM.  I can log into the portal and manage
> the hosts, storage, VMs, etc., just not the HEVM.  As I understand it,
> even if I could set aside my need for alternate users, when it comes
> time to upgrade I will need access to the HEVM, so I have to solve
> this at some point.

I assume you checked whether you have sudo rights with the standard
user? If not you could also try to add that user to the sudo admin group
and that way gain root rights. Both ways you need to get to boot the HE
from an alternative boot device.
You could use qemu to boot the HE from a rescue CD and reset the
password or add your user to the right sudo group.
I just tried that on a copy of my HE and can boot my HE with the
following command:
qemu-system-x86_64.exe -m 1024.000 -name HE  -hda t:\HE.qcow
Making a copy made the image non-sparse but I didn't try too hard to fix
this since I'm trying this out on a W10 PC :-)

Regards,

Joop