[ovirt-users] ovirtmgmt network security

Istvan Buki buki.istvan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 20:13:30 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:50 AM, Alona Kaplan <alkaplan at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Istvan,
>
> I agree with Luca. You can remove nic1.
> 'ovirtmgmt' network is not mandatory on the vm, you can run the vm with no
> vnics (vitrual nics) at all.
> The 'ovirtmgmt' network is used for communication between the engine and
> the host.
> Whether the vm using the 'ovirtmgmt' network or not won't affect the
> management capabilities.
>
> You said that the vm nic with 'ovirtmgmt' was automatically added when you
> added the vm.
> It is strange and shouldn't behave this way. Are you sure that in the add
> vm dialog you didn't choose it as the network of nic1? (you could leave
> this section in the dialog unfilled, it is not mandatory).
>
> BTW, if you don't want any VM to use the 'ovirtmgmt' network you can go to
> the edit network dialog of 'ovirtmgmt' (in the Network main tab) and
> uncheck the 'vm network' checkbox.
>
> Hope it helps you,
> Alona.

Hi Alona,

Yes, removing nic1 was the solution I was looking for.

You are right, I probably added nic1 during the creation of the VM. This is
my first ovirt install and I'm a little bit overwhelmed by all the details
one has to know to create a system that is reliable and efficient.
Fortunately, thanks to people like you and Luca, I'll be able to overcome
the initial difficulties.

Istvan

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Luca 'remix_tj' Lorenzetto <